This morning, Web Analytics Association announced that it is changing its name from Web Analytics Association to Digital Analytics Association.
Why the change?
All of those who have been working in this industry for few years know that the term “Web Analytics” does not reflect the actual work we do. As I wrote in my last post “Move Web Analytics Data Out Of Silo”, “Web Analytics” purpose was to report on one channel “your website”. Nowadays the story is different, customers interact with your brand in so many way, your website is just one small part of the whole “web” ecosystem. The work most of the web analysts do today involve more than web. Web Analysts today analyze many “digital” channels such as social, mobile and email along with web. Many are starting to deal with other digital channels such as “Set top boxes”. So definitely “Digital” is a better term to describe the work that web analytics groups undertake.
I like the evolution of “Web Analytics Association” to “Digital Analytics Association”.
Many forward thinking organizations have been doing “Digital Analytics” for quite some time. I am not just taking about providing an integrated view of Digital Data on one spreadsheet/dashboard, I am talking about connecting the dots of customers interaction in various channels and using the integrated data to optimize customer journey and campaigns.
These organizations are diving into the next step in this direction i.e. “multichannel” analytics. Many “web analytics” companies are already developing products to move the organization from “Web” to “digital” to “multichannel” analytics and optimization.
Web Analytics Association (WAA) Digital Analytics Association (DAA) be called Multichannel Analytics Association (MCAA or MAA) in future? I think so but for now I like “Digital Analytics Association”.
What do you think?
(Note: I am an ex-Board Member of
Digital Analytics & Marketing Jobs
- Project Manager, Research at Turner Broadcasting Systems (Atlanta, GA)
- Web Marketing Analyst-FLU000617 at Fluke (Everett, WA)
- Research Project Manager, PBS KIDS Sprout at NBC (Philadelphia, PA)
- Web Analytics Manager at Tripadvisor (Newton Upper Falls, MA)
- Digital Customer Analytics Sr Consultant at American Cancer Society (Atlanta, GA)
- Web/Digital Analytics Auditing at Audit Bureau of Circulations (Arlington Heights, IL)
- Senior Web Analyst at Pop (Seattle, WA)
- Online Analytics Specialist, Communications, Brookings at Brookings (Washington, DC)
- Director, Brand & Multiplatform Research at Turner Broadcasting System (Atlanta, GA)
- Web Analytics Analyst – Business Intelligence Group at Cmn.com (Houston, TX)
- Senior Manager, Digital Research at NBC (New York, NY)
- Senior Analyst, Modeling, Segmentation, and Forecasting at ARC Worldwide, An Affiliate of Leo Burnett (Chicago, IL)
- Senior Analyst, Digital Measurement | Optimization at ARC Worldwide, An Affiliate of Leo Burnett (Chicago, IL)
- Senior database developer (Sr. SDE) at Optizent (Redmond, WA)
- Associate Games Analyst at Arkadium (New York, NY)
- Director of Analytics at Arkadium (New York, NY)
- Web Analytics Engineer – Contract (POP) at Pop (Seattle, WA)
- Website Analyst at Simplexity (Reston, VA)